MODULE 1 DISCUSSION
You must thoughtfully answer the following question in your original post:
Discuss how intercultural communication began and evolved historically as a field of study. Also, discuss how the work of E.T. Hall at the Foreign Service Institute left a lasting impact on the field of intercultural communication. Use the textbook, the Rogers and Steinfatt (1999), and Kim’s (2001) article to answer.
Then you must thoughtfully answer one of the following questions in your original post:
(Please give the number to the question you are answering in the subject line of your post.)
1. Think of your most likely career choice. Describe a situation in which effective intercultural communication would be useful. Be sure to apply textbook ideas in your answer. For example, chapter 1 defines intercultural communication and culture. It explains how culture is transmitted through globalization and immigration, the presence of a dominant culture and co-cultures, and the dynamic, symbolic, and contextual nature of intercultural communication. How will these impact your career?
2. “It’s a small world” is more than just a cliché these days. What are some of the factors that have caused an increase in the interaction between different cultures? Cite the textbook.
3. Use an internet search engine and read a few articles about globalization. What is it? Does globalization mean we need to study intercultural communication? What are the communication implications of the “global village” or the “global economy?” (Remember to cite the internet article(s) you use to write your post.)
4. Compare and contrast international and domestic intercultural contact. How do the terms “dominant culture” and “co-culture” fit into the types of symbols and messages that are sent and received in international and domestic intercultural contact? How do “individual uniqueness,” “stereotyping,” and “objectivity” fit into the types of symbols and messages that are sent and received in international and domestic intercultural contact? Cite the textbook.
5. What is your definition of effective communication? How does your definition of effective communication relate to each of the functions of communication (gathering information, fulfilling interpersonal needs, establishing identity, influencing others, etc.) addressed in chapter 1? What role do dynamism, symbolism, and context play in the effective communication process? Can a person ever truly understand another person fully?
6. Explain the concept that communication is culture and culture is communication. Another way to think about this question is similar to the old chicken and egg question: which came first, the chicken or the egg? Which came first, communication or culture? And can one exist without the other? Cite the textbook.
7. Discuss each of the five main themes of intercultural communication study. If you want to study intercultural communication area in the future, which theme (area) would be your interesting field of the study? Why? Discuss it.
You must thoughtfully respond at least twice to your classmates or to me. Your response posts must add to the discussion.
To achieve a superior grade for discussions, each of the following components must be satisfied:
The content of your original post must connect to unit theories and cite the textbook
You must cite one additional source in addition to the textbook
All posting and responding deadlines and minimum requirements must be met
Please read the “grading rubric” so you know the specific criteria that will determine your grade
As the best, my homework help website in the world, Writersabc.com strives to deliver only high-quality finished papers to all customers. We value impeccable quality and guarantee that we will deliver on that promise more than anything else. We will deliver!
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
Have you received your finished paper but are not satisfied with what our writer submitted? You can initiate our money-back guarantee to get your money back with no strings attached.Read more
Writersabc.com is the best my homework help website in the world. At WritersABC, we have a team of certified, tried, and tested writers who work around the clock to ensure that you receive only high-quality, 100% original finished papers.Read more
At WritersABC, we guarantee all our customers of the best essay writing service in the writing industry. And that’s precisely what we strive to deliver. As such, we encourage all our customers to utilize our unlimited free-revision policy if you aren’t satisfied with your paper. Don’t accept any paper until you are 100% satisfied with it.Read more
We value the trust that our clients accord us and respect every customers’ rights to personal data protection. We will never share, sell, or rent any information that we collect from you with any third parties. Both your personal and financial information is safe with us.Read more
We have only gotten this far with the help of our loyal customers and a team of dedicated experts. As the best, my homework help website, WritersABC implores customers to help make our writers’ work easier. Visit our fair-cooperation guarantee for more information on the same.Read more