Use the Internet or Strayer databases to research and identify an organization that was a victim of asset misappropriation. For the assignment, you will evaluate the types and causes of the misappropriations, examine how assets were or could have been recovered, assess management’s responsibility to share information, and discuss SAS 99 risk factors. You will also discuss how to improve the organization’s corporate governance plan, recommend a fraud prevention plan, and discuss its potential impact on the organization and its employees.
Write a 5–6 page paper in which you:
- Based on your research, evaluate the type of asset misappropriations that occurred at the organization. Assess the factors that contributed to the misappropriation. Give your opinion on whether poor management or lack of management played a role in asset misappropriation. Provide support for your rationale.
- Evaluate the legal mechanisms that could have been used to recover assets through the civil and criminal justice systems. Assess whether the civil and criminal justice systems did an effective job in recovering the organization’s assets. Provide support for your rationale.
- Assess management’s responsibility to share information related to the breach with various stakeholder groups, indicating what should be shared and how. Provide support for your rationale.
- Review AICPA Statements on Auditing Standard (SAS) No. 99, “Risk Factors Relating to Misstatements Arising from Misappropriation of Assets,” found within the text. Assess SAS 99 risk factors and discuss if the risk factors were prevalent in the organization you researched. Give your opinion on whether or not organizations should implement a plan that reviews risk factors on a regular basis to determine if fraud has occurred. Explain why or why not.
- Review the corporate governance plan of the organization you researched, evaluate the effectiveness of the plan, and make suggestions for improvements to protect the stakeholders. Provide support for your rationale.
- Recommend a fraud prevention plan for this organization. Determine what positive or negative consequences this fraud prevention plan might have on employees’ morale and the public perception of the organization.
- Provide at least four quality resources. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Evaluate issues related to asset misappropriation, risk factors, corporate governance, and fraud prevention within a given organization.
- Institution Release Statement